While most of the world will be confined to our homes for the foreseeable future due to the COVID-19 quarantine, what better time to start those home improvement projects, organize your shoe closet and do the remedial tasks we’ve all been putting off?
We’ve compiled a list of projects you can do using supplies you already have, without leaving the house at all!
1. Re-arrange your furniture
Bring a new perspective into your room by rearranging furniture and giving it a fresh look!
- Move furniture around to different parts of the house
- Switch up your rugs to different rooms
- Even something as simple as moving a lamp to a new location can really change the look and feel of a room!
2. Clean, organize and declutter
This is the perfect time to do a little spring cleaning!
- Dust off your vents and baseboards. This will also help eliminate allergens in your home!
- Go through your clothes, figure out what “sparks joy”, as organizational expert Marie Kondo suggests and get rid of the rest.
- Simplify your pantry and storage spaces by labeling your supplies.
- Don’t forget your bathroom drawers – they need a little love too!
3. Use up your spare paint
If you have a few half-used buckets of paint in the garage, why not do a little refresh on your walls, doors and furniture!
- Paint your front door or an interior door a contrasting color! Bright, spring colors on a front door are trending right now.
- Touch up furniture or trim around the house with a fresh new coat of paint!
4. Yard work
Spring is in full swing and now is a great time to get your yard ready!
- Clear the yard from leaves or branches and do a little weeding!
- Start a home garden! This could mean putting some plants in your windowsill or starting a full-blown garden in the yard.
- More and more people are gaining interest in growing their own food since the Coronavirus outbreak!
5. Change your home air filter
- Your home’s air filter should be changed monthly and you should always have a spare one on hand. If not, check Amazon and get one shipped right to your door!
- When replacing the air filter, make sure to orient the new one in the correct direction of airflow.
- Make a little mark on the cover of the size and airflow direction so you remember next time!
6. Clean out your gutters
- Check your gutters and downspouts. If you haven’t cleaned them since the Fall, chances are they’re due for a cleaning!
- Once you clean the gutters, rake up the leaves! You don’t want soil building up around the house!
Other things you might have been putting off:
- Oil your wooden cutting boards and furniture
- Clean and season your cast iron pans
- Clean and condition leather furniture
- Take stock of your fridge and pantry items, get rid of old things and take inventory of what you’re missing
- Scrub your outdoor furniture and cushions
- Pressure wash your patio and/or deck
- Check washing machine filter and clean dryer vent
- Check carbon monoxide and smoke detectors